Sunday, April 14, 2013

Following the Shepherd


The Lord is my shepherd;
I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me besides the still waters.
He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name sake. 

Yea though I walk through the valley
     of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. 

You prepare a table before me in the
     presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
Psalm 23

The 23rd Psalm.  Simple, elegant, packed full of wonderful promises for us to trust God in.  The 23rd Psalm ranks up there as many people’s favorite passage in the bible.  I know it is one of mine.  But do we really take it to heart?  Do we trust in the promises here and believe in them?  Promises for provision, protection, rest.

A shepherd always leads from the front.  He doesn’t prod from behind, he leads the sheep and they follow him.  When we seek guidance from God we generally want to know the destination and then we want to set about heading off in that direction.  Funny thing, God doesn’t work that way.  God steps out front and calls us to follow Him.  We aren’t supposed to worry about the destination, we are supposed to trust the shepherd and follow Him.

Is it hard to follow Him?  Only as hard as we make it out to be.  It’s easy to follow Him when things are going well.  We are content to follow the path He leads us down.  Then something happens, loss of a job, sickness, a wayward child, an accident and then what do we do?  We take our eyes off Him and start trying to fix, cope, or find a solution to the problem.

And it doesn’t have to be anything serious.  We can be following Him but then we get impatient, want things to happen faster.  We want to know where we are going or what we are going to encounter along the way.

As I have been seeking Him I have found it can be easy to take the lead from Him.  I’m diligently seeking Him, heartfelt prayer, lots of good devotional time, studying His word and then something trips me up.  How did that happen? I was following Him.  Wasn’t I?  After a fashion, but I was slowly taking to lead.  Like a child that says, “I can do it myself!”  Relying on my own strength, not trusting in Him.  All those things I was doing are an important aspect of my continued growth but I lost focus.  It’s not about my becoming strong enough to do it; it’s about trusting in Him and His strength, His provision, His protection.  Trusting Him in everything.
 

I came across a slightly different translation of the 23rd Psalm.  Take a look:

Da Boss above, He take care me,
  Jalike da sheep farma take care his sheeps.
  He goin give me everything I need. 

He let me lie down wea da sweet an soft grass stay.
  He lead me by da water wea I can rest.

He give me new kine life.
  He lead me in da road dat stay right,
  Cuz I His guy.

This is from the Pidgin Bible translated in Hawaii.  I love the simplicity of what is stated here.  He is going to take care of me, give me everything I need, take me to the grass and water, give me a new kind of life, and lead me in what is right.  And why does he do all this?  Cuz I His guy.  It doesn’t get much simpler than that.
 

Jesus called Himself the Good Shepherd and we are likened to the sheep under His care. (John 10)  As our shepherd, Jesus is promising to take care of us and meet our every need.  We need to stop getting caught up in everything and thinking we have to deal with it ourselves.  We need to trust in his promises. 

So where do I find myself now?  Seeking Him, gaining a better understanding of what it means to trust in Him.  Learning how to recognize and catch myself when I start trying to take the lead and relying on my strength rather than His.  Learning to accept His promises and not to question why. 

 The why is actually really simple.  Why does He promise me all these things?

 Cuz I His guy.  And so are you!

No comments:

Post a Comment