Sunday, June 9, 2013

Music


 
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.  (Col 3:16)


I live in Colorado Springs, Colorado and the city is nestled up against a group of mountains commonly called the Front Range.  As I was out running early this morning I had a great view of the mountains as the sun was coming up behind me.  I had my iPod on shuffle and music from Last of the Mohicans started to play.  With the mountains before me and soul stirring playing I had a wonderful feeling of thankfulness for God in my life.  I love those special moments with God.

Do you enjoy listening to music?  Music has been around for a long time and has a multitude of uses.  We have music and songs for celebrations, entertainment, expressing our sorrows, and a variety of dedications.  Music can also help us create a romantic mood with our special someone, inspire us to keep going in times of trouble, and music can reach in and touch us at the very core of our soul.

The bible is full of examples of the use of music.  David was a musician in his own right, he wrote most of the Psalms and also developed a number of instruments. Have you ever noticed the notes in the Psalms concerning the type of instrument to be used with the Psalm?  David also played music to sooth King Saul when he was affected by a distressing spirit (1 Samuel 16:14-23).

There is so much great music out there that you can add to your worship experience.  Whether it is older hymns or more contemporary music, there is something out there that will touch your heart. Paul even encourages us to “speak to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord.” (Eph. 5:19)

By yourself or with a group of believers, using music as part of your worship is a great way to connect with God. 


No comments:

Post a Comment