Saturday, March 28, 2020

Isolation



I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33)


We are in such a strange time. Never have people been so isolated, not just emotionally, but physically.  In an attempt to minimize the spread of the COVID-19 virus, government officials around the world are instituting isolation protocols of varying degrees.  These vary by country, and in the United States even by state and municipality.  These range from complete lock-down to “stay-at-home” orders to recommendations to protect oneself by avoiding contact with other people, either all together or at least maintaining 6 feet (or 2 meters) distance. Ultimately the result is literally billions of people isolated from each other around the world.

The challenge is that we were created to be relational beings.  From the very beginning God said it was not good for us to be alone, “The LORD God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.”” (Gen 2:18)  Even after man had sinned, God sought him out, “But the Lord God called to the man, “Where are you?”” (Gen 3:9)  God has not stopped looking for us and reaching out to us ever since.


An amazing example of just six short verses tells us how much God is there for us in every way. In reading them again I can feel a renewed sense of peace come into my heart.

Psalm 23

1The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
 2He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
3He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name's sake.
4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil;
For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me
5You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over.
6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord Forever.

In writing this Psalm, David gives us so much to consider, and he jumps right in with the first verse, “The Lord is my shepherd.”  Everything the shepherd does is to the benefit of the sheep under his care.  Jesus doubles down on this when he tells of the shepherd seeking the one lost sheep to restore it to the flock (Mt 18: 12-14 and Lk 15:4-7).  

David then expands on some of the different ways the Shepherd takes care of us.  Restoration, comfort, rest, abundance, mercy, and righteousness.  And nestled among this truly amazing list of benefits, a simple "You are with me." 


Our not being alone is a promise made throughout scripture. Here are a few examples:

-       Isaiah 41:10 – “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
-       Matthew 1:23 – “The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel” (which means “God with us”).”
-       Joshua 1:9 – “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
 -       Matthew 28:20 – “teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.  And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
-       John 14:16 – “I will ask the Father, and He will give you another helper who will be with you forever.”
-       Matthew 18:20 – “For where two or more are gathered in My name, there I am with them.”
Paul also addresses this in his characteristic and remarkable way:  "For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 8:38-39)


Unfortunately, isolation is not a new concept for many people.  The elderly, the sick and infirm, the poor, and social outcasts are just a few groups that must endure isolation to some degree or another.  Though some can handle isolation form other people better than others, even that has its limits.  And there is plenty of evidence to show how detrimental long-term isolation can be, ranging from feelings of loneliness or depression, to adverse health effects.  All of the measures being taken and meant for good may only add to the burdens people are already experiencing.


In this time of extreme isolation, take time to reach out.  Take advantage of the amazing options we have in the 21st century; text, social media, video calls, or even just a good old-fashioned phone call.  Let others know they are not alone.  Even in our own struggles in this isolation, we need to be the salt and light we are called to be.

We may never know the impact it may have on someone through the simple act of reaching out to them.  And I firmly believe that in this simple act of kindness you will find your burdens lifted because God is there with you as well.


I pray for God’s peace to fill your heart and the heart of those you love.  Together we will get through this brothers and sisters!



1 comment:

  1. Hi Doug. Thanks for letting us know about the blog! It's fun seeing you put your heart into the written word!
    Thans for the reminder that we're never isolated from God.
    What's struck me so far during this time of "social distancing" is how surprisingly well video conferencing apps have worked during this time to keep me from being isolated. I'm truly grateful!

    ReplyDelete